01 July 2010

My happy place...

Last week, I set off in our camper with Jack, singing along with the radio as if off on holiday.
I was only going to collect my new old cabinet to stash my fabrics.

I somehow managed to drive straight to it, a barn in the middle of nowhere, after driving through a maze of country lanes.
A sure sign of things meant to be!

fabric cabinet

It took four days to get it in shipshape condition, and in the process, cured my obsession with painting everything (for now...).

I did enjoy the process nonetheless, there is no better way of getting to know a piece of furniture.
I found a maker's mark on the back of the cabinet and each of the three doors. Very exciting stuff indeed! It does seem to be a 1920s cabinet. I have yet to find out more... (any tips on where to find cabinet makers' identification marks?)

fabric cabinet

fabric cabinet

It's so nice to be able to glance at the fabric though the glass... I was hoping it would have a little more room left for more vintage finds, it is looking rather full already! A good reason to get sewing, if one was ever needed.

It is also the new home of one other studio essential, my radio. The only long wave one in the house so I can listen to French radio. A necessity so I don't forget my native language. In 4 years time, I will have spent as much time in each country, unreal...

studio

As I type this in my happy den, surrounded by my favourite things, I dream of good things to come...

Sweet dreams to you!
x

15 comments:

Mary-Cate said...

I LOVE YOUR CABINET! I love the glass and legs... oh you are so lucky to have it :) After you finished painting it, did you seal it with anything? xx

pennycones said...

It looks beautiful! I have yet to find anything as nice as this.

You are so lucky to have this little space. But, I do have that same little radio so all is not so bad for me. Haha

x

The English Writer said...

That's gorgeous, and I love the fabrics even more. We have the same radio! Though mine usually plays Classic FM! x

shevie said...

Ah Apples its looking so lovely in your workspace-love your style and the cabinet was worth the love you bestowed upon it! No doubt you will produce wondrous things,whilst dreaming happy dreams there! I too have that radio in baby blue,a classic design!x

Sonja said...

Ohhhh, that is so lovely. You did a beautiful job!

Bexando said...

What a great feature for a room! Nice idea, and I envy your fabric collection very much! :)

Annabelle said...

wow, thanks everyone! :)) a lucky find for sure... funny how things go, right place right time kind of thing...
looks like that radio is popular! sounds good in baby blue too.

Mary-Cate, no I haven't sealed it with anything, I used eggshell wood paint (I prefer it to shiny gloss paint).

x

Jo said...

Dear Annabelle

this is one of the pretties cabinets I ever saw! And it fits perfectly to the wonderful wallpaper and the rest of your studio.
Merveilleux. Enchanté d'avoir fait votre connaissance.

x
Jo

Annabelle said...

Merci ma chère Jo! can't wait to see what you have been busy painting!
x

So Chic Decor said...

I love how you have the top of the cabinet decorated! It's so beautiful!

FoundVintageStyle said...

Found you via enhabiten.
Love your style- love the cabinet!
I also collect vintage fabrics & buttons. To have such a nice display case is inspiring...

Annabelle said...

Thank you both and hi! :)

claire said...

that cabinet is a thing of beauty - well done.

Cabinet Makers said...

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?

Annabelle said...

Ah thank you very much! :D I'm glad you did!

I have now set an email subscription box on the right, just below the followers box. It will send you an email when I've added a new post.
Thanks for mentioning it, tis a good addition!