01 August 2011

Little things that make me happy: la vaisselle

In the last few months, I have been on a mission to replace our starter home crockery, and about time too! Not only there are chips here and there, but it is all rather plain and boring.

'Course I wasn't about to go into a shop, choose, buy and job done. What's the fun in that? Oh no... it has to be thrifted and pre-loved. I have had to be very patient (hmm... does me good I suppose) for the perfect pieces to find me (fussy moi?), but my little collection is now steadily growing :)

My current obsession is with 3 designs from 3 countries: US, UK and France. *Tries to get silly joke format out of mind, "There an American, an Englishman and a Frenchman in a bar..." nooo... *

Corelle

I found this set (sadly incomplete) of Corelle by Corning in Spring Blossom / Crazy Daisy pattern, plates, bowls, cups & saucers. I am a total newbie when it comes to vintage kitchenware, so I bought it and then found out more about it. It made the whole process even more exciting!! (license to snigger granted).

Corelle

While it is quite easy to find in the US where it comes from, it's much harder to find here. That will make the task of completing the set that bit harder, especially when a quick search on Etsy brings up so many of the pieces I need, if only the postage cost wasn't so high *sigh*.
Still, I'm sure something will turn up somehow. I already spied a little set in one of my fav vintage shop (Glagow based), Peony and Thistle, shame it's not the pieces I am after.

Corelle | Arcopal | JAJ

Then came along the French Arcopal cups (middle). I found these last week in Emmaus on my trip back to Brittany to visit my Mum & Dad, quite easy to find over there. I almost bought some plates and bowls but sadly ran out of time :(
There were still boxes and boxes of crockery to look through but they were closing. The ones I found weren't in tip top shape so I left them (unlike Corelle, Arcopal patterns can deteriorate). Another time...
I first saw this pattern called Scania (thank you Nana Odile for the pattern name. You must check her flickr photostream, it's full of gorgeous vintage goodness!), when the lovely Emma Lamb found her fab Arcopal jug. Love at first sight! I have grown up eating out of Arcopal dishes
but didn't know this pattern. Love the colour, and they go so perfectly with my green Corelle cups.

And then there's British made JAJ Cottage Rose. I have only got one little bowl (on the right), there will be more I am sure, too pretty :)

Annabelle x

PS: Phew! I managed to keep 3 man joke references at bay. Just as well because a) there're always rubbish jokes & b) I'm hopeless at telling jokes. Either I'm giggling and unable to finish or I spoil it by telling it wrongly.

PPS: Obsession #4 is Pyrex

11 comments:

Anita said...

I love all those! I've been trying to redo our plates and such as well, but I'm having a hard time choosing just what I want. This gives me hope though!

Anonymous said...

Well the good thing about Corelle, once you complete your set it'll never break. It's quite common in Canada too, I remember that exact pattern at my friends growing up. They probably still have it!

Annabelle said...

Anita, I was being very indecisive too (in fact I didn't buy the Corelle stuff first time I spotted it in the shop, for that same reason), glad I did now. Good luck!

Anonymous, I am totally sold on Corelle for that reason too! Plus the fact that the pattern is going to stay exactly as it is, and they stack small, and... I could go on :)

Ainsleigh said...

My parents had a pattern like that on our dinner sets when I was little!

pennycones said...

Lovely lovely. I had my eye on some Arcopal things on Ebay recently as I'm pretty fed up with my starter kitchenware...chips, etc. hahaha. I think I opted for more shoes though ;) Haha

I will keep my eyes open for any of the designs you are after though. If I see any, I shall send it over your way.

Good luck! xxx

emma lamb said...

Miss Annabelle... I so want those Arcopla mugs!!! Oh, you just keep on collecting lots and lots and lots of this lovely stuff and when your shelves start to buckle I'll be there to swap you some crochet goodies for your spares... :)

Thank you for the mention too, since I picked up my wee jug I've spotted a bunch of Arcopal stuff but in other patterns and not such great condition. I must keep my eye out for Corelle though, I love this daisy pattern... :)

Have a fabulous day my lovely,
Emma, x

Kim B said...

Hi there! I found you via the Artful Blogger article. Congrats! I just wanted to say, I so, grew up with this set of dishes, Spring Blossom / Crazy Daisy, and used them well into my married life. It's funny how they are coming around now as vintage. eeeekkkk!

Reality Jayne said...

I live here in The middle of the US...Corelle is at every garage sale in this ole state...I will keep my eyes peeled for you..

Elizabeth from EBN Art Studio said...

My mom still uses her Spring Blossom/Crazy Daisy set! I think it's so funny that they're trendy now!

Anonymous said...

Hi, don't know if you're still collecting, I have six cups from the Spring blossom range. Found in a box at my mum,s, they are no longer needed. Would you be interested?
Thanks, Nicky

Annabelle said...

Thanks so much Nicky. I have now found all the pieces I was after, but thanks so much for taking the trouble, much appreciated! Annabelle